Thursday, December 22, 2011

[Dairy] Lantern Festival



Today is Lantern Festival for all Chinese~ Have your family prepare 汤圆 (TangYuan) ? ~ 


Lantern Festival fall on 15th day on the 1st month in lunar year. Not really sure too but I heard from my mom you will know when you look at Lunar Calendar.


Please don't think that Lantern Festival is Mid-Autumn Festival (Mooncake Festival). It's two different festival even sometime people call Mid-Autumn Festival as Lantern Festival . Lantern Festival have another name in Chinese which is 元宵节 (Yuan Xiao Jie) . So~ It's two different festival .


During Lantern Festival which is 元宵节, family will gather together to eat  汤圆 together as 汤圆 symbolise a family as one. Maybe you did not heard of this food before so let me introduce you to the Chinese family ~ (I'm proud to be a Chinese even I wish I'm a Korean~) . 

Let start!! Welcome to Chinese lesson! ~ 

汤圆 is make out of Glutinous Rice Flour which is why it's stick after it's cook. Korean Rice Cake are also make out of Glutinous Rice Flour. So 汤圆 have both filled or unfilled,it's all depend on your taste. As generation pass by,you don't need to make your own 汤圆 as supermarket have sell those that are made (Filled or Unfilled) ,all you need to do is boil it and you can eat it anytime you want even if it's not Lantern Festival. 


P.S. If you're living in oversea that are not Asian,find a Asian supermarket and you can find those frozen 汤圆.


As for Filled 汤圆,there have many choice you can choose from like Peanut,Black Sesame,Red Bean and etc.


For unfilled 汤圆,there is two colour for you to choose , white or pink. You can mix it or just choose one of it. Personally,I find both taste are the same. With unfilled 汤圆,all you the taste you taste is from the soup.


So!

Yes! The soup.The most important thing that are needed! Mostly the soup are call as "Sweet Dessert Soup" . Most common soup are ... Red Bean Soup,Black Sesame Soup,Ginger and Rock Sugar. 

For Red Bean Soup and Black Sesame Soup,I never try it before as my mom most of the time cook the soup with Ginger and Brown Sugar with unfilled 汤圆. 

If you want to eat filled 汤圆,I personally suggest you to try Black Sesame 汤圆! ~ It's really nice :) 

That all for lesson on 汤圆 and Lantern Festival! ~ Will post later again ~ I think so ~ I'm officially addicted to blogging. 

Remember to comment if you're here! I want to know your exist,don't hide yourselves from me.
I'm always here! I don't judge ! Talk to me even you don't know me! ~



Visit my other site too ! Click on each word to go~ 



3 comments:

  1. I only can read yuan but i don't know how to read the infront one :X

    ReplyDelete
  2. @JosephineLee Yeap , what about you? ^-^

    @Sakura The "Tang" is the soup in chinese :D Or sweet in chinese XDD Hope that help :3

    ReplyDelete